The other day, I was pleased to have a message from Allison Forsythe of The Wannabe Writer Life telling me that I had been nominated for the Liebster Award! It’s always awesome to be acknowledged for good, hard work, so thank you to Allison for recognizing me! I think that part of building a writing community–online or not–has to include positive feedback and support and this is a fun way to show it.
Here are the rules of The Liebster Award :
1. Thank your Liebster Blog Award presenter on your blog and link back to the blogger who presented this award to you.
2. Answer the 11 questions from the nominator, list 11 random facts about yourself, and create 11 questions for your nominees.
3. Present the Liebster Blog Award to up to 11 blogs of 200 followers or less who you feel deserve to be noticed and leave a comment on their blog letting them know they have been chosen. No tag backs.
4. Copy and Paste the blog award on your blog
My answers to Allison’s questions were:
1. Who is your favourite character (book, play, movie, or TV) of all time? Why?
What is it that makes a character likeable? For me, it is a feeling of honesty in the writing of the character; that feeling that you have when you and a friend are close enough to know each other’s flaws and still like each other. This character for me is Dane from Tamora Pierce’s “Wild Magic” series, because she is stubborn, brave and pragmatic about her decisions. (Also, she is a strong female character who isn’t afraid to kick butt when needed). The world of YA books always needs more badass heroines!
2. If you had a time machine and could travel anywhere in the world at any point in time, where/when would you go?
My curiosity would likely guide me to rural England (just outside London) to Stonehenge so that I could see what it was really all about. I wonder what it might have looked like? Maybe I would go back even earlier and see who built it. (And if we’re following along the lines of this scheme, I’d detour to Egypt and see who built the pyramids too).
3. Why do you blog?
I blog because it’s another reason to write. If you are a writer, then I think that you have to make all the excuses you can to write as much as possible. (I also enjoy reading other blogs and meeting other people who like to write).
4. What was your favourite thing to get for Hallowe’en when you were a kid?
Remember Tootsie Rolls? Not those. I liked the rainbow coloured cousins of the Tootsie Rolls that tasted (sort of) fruity. What were they called? (Now you might call them diabetes in rainbow form, but once upon a time they were just chewy, lip-staining delights).
5. If you could learn to speak another language fluently (quickly and easily), what would it be?
Lately I’ve been thinking about travelling to China, so learning the language would make that trip a whole lot easier! Whenever I travel, I like to meet local people. Who knows what kinds of stories I would learn from the locals?
6. What concert would you most like to see?
I was thinking about it and although I like The Shins, Fleet Foxes and Weezer, it is the unobtainable that I am drawn to. Since we’re imagining here…I kind of wish it was possible to see The Beatles perform with a resurrected John Lennon (make-up does wonders now, so I’m sure they would be able to fix up his unfortunate zombie exterior enough to make him pretty again for the show).
7. What was the last song that got stuck in your head for days?
Quite often, I have I’ll Fly Away by Allison Krauss & Gillian Welch on the O, Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack. It’s a simple melody that seems to hang in the air and follow me around, but it’s not obnoxious so I tolerate it gladly.
8. What actor/actress would play you in the movie about your life?
Jennifer Lawrence! I like to think that I would be portrayed by someone who can hold her own, but also has a feminine side too.
9. What scent is linked to a happy memory for you (if any)? (It could be perfume, food, campfires, etc…)
The warm smell of German crepes sizzling in a cast iron pan brings back memories of sitting in the kitchen with my mom on mornings when it was cold outside.
10. If you could pick a superpower for yourself, what would it be?
I’d want to be able to walk through walls. Seriously. I’m always losing my keys! If I could walk through walls I wouldn’t need to worry about keys anymore!
11. What’s your favourite kind of pie?
There is no competition with pumpkin pie. I eat it year round, even though it’s really a Thanksgiving thing, justifying it with the reasoning that “it’s sort of healthy…it’s a vegetable!”
Eleven Random Facts:
1. There is a shade of paint between beige and peach that makes me nauseous.
2. I sometimes pretend that I am accepting an award while in the shower.
3. I am exceptionally creeped out by yellow walls. (I blame it on Charlotte Perkins Gillman, who wrote “The Yellow Wallpaper”).
4. I love polka dots.
5. I always paint the walls in my bedroom Bonaparte Red. I don’t know why.
6. I have a degree of fear for spiders that most people reserve for axe-wielding psychopaths.
7. The next pair of shoes is always the last pair I’ll buy.
8. I love the smell of rain. (Consequently, the name for this scent is petrichor. It refers to the scent of oils given off by vegetation).
9. I am obsessed with weird words.
10. I feel that eating a cold breakfast is a form of punishment.
11. I have re-read some books–my favourite ones–twenty times at least, because it feels like retreating to a safe place.
Questions for my nominees:
1. What is your favourite scene/moment in a book? Why?
2. If you could live anywhere in the world for a year, where would it be?
3. What is the worst part of writing dialogue? What is the best part?
4. What do you like to read?
5. Where do you find your inspiration?
6. How do you know when you have made a good friend?
7. If you could interview anyone–dead or alive–who would it be?
8. What is the scariest thing you’ve ever done?
9. What made you want to start blogging?
10. Short stories or the novel: which do you like better?
11. If you could have a final showdown with a literary villain, which one do you think you could defeat and why?
My nominees are…
What a fun way to connect and show support!