Summer is almost here, but that doesn’t mean that all things writerly slow down! If anything, summer is the best time to write like crazy and send more writing out into the world. In the spirit of keeping myself honest and accomplishing my goal of not being a shy writer who hides in her writerly cave, quietly editing her works forever, I’m compiling a list of contests to enter in the summer months.
Why not follow along with me and see how many you can enter too?
- Glimmer Train Press – Short Story Award for New Writers. 1,000 to 12,000 words for a short story by an unpublished writer whose work has yet to appear in a magazine with a circulation over 5,000. Deadline: June 30th.
- Bellevue Literary Review – Fiction Prize. If writing about health is your schtick, then this contest is for you! There’s a $1000 prize, which is good, since the entry fee is $20. Deadline: July 1st.
- New American Press – 2018 Fiction Prize. There are no limits in this contest. Enter your short story, novel, novella, collection of stories or hybrid fiction! With a $1000 prize and 25 contributor copies, that’s nothing to sneeze at. Deadline: July 1st.
- Nimrod – Francine Ringold Awards for New Writers. Open only to writers with no more than two previous publication credits in their genre. 5,000 words maximum. Open internationally. All finalists will be published. $12 entry fee. Deadline: July 15.
- Haunted Waters Press – Fiction, Poetry, & Flash Fiction. If you’re a writer of all things spooky or supernatural, this contest is for you. Deadline: July 31st.
- Crazyhorse – Short-Short Fiction Competition. Submit 3 short-shorts of up to 500 words each. $15 entry fee includes a one-year subscription to Crazyhorse. Deadline: July 31st.
- The Capilano Review – 8th Annual Robin Blaser Writing Contest. $1000 CAD plus publication in an upcoming issue of The Capilano Review. Each submission includes a 1-year subscription to TCR, valued at $25. Length: Maximum 6 pages per entry. Fee: $30 for Canadian entries, $40 for US/international entries. July 31st.
- The Orison Anthology Awards. The Orison Anthology is an annual collection of the finest spiritually engaged writing. Entry fee: $15. Deadline: August 1.
- Gival Press – 15th Annual Short Story Award. Stories must be unpublished and between 5,000 to 15,000 words in length. There is a $25 reading fee. Deadline: August 8th.
- Aftermath – The End of Our World Short Story Contest. Open worldwide, this contest focuses on climate change and environmental disaster. Submit a piece of fiction between 1500 to 5000 words. $1000 prize. Entry is FREE.
What are your favourite writing contests? Are there any that I missed? Let me know in the comments below!